up around the water sawmills by the river "Sagelva". This river falls through
small rapids and waterfalls down to "Skjervagapet" where it meets the river
"Nitelva". There were sawmills here since the 16. century.
"Strømmen" is first mentioned in 1640.
Timber from vast areas of eastern Norway was floated to "Sagelva". The finished
planks were then driven to Christiania (Oslo). At the most 2000 horsecarriages were
trafficing the road "Strømsveien", so it could be quite a rush even at that
time. Around the year 1680 about 20 sawmills were busy. Along "Sagelva" it is
now planned for an environmental and historical park.
1852 the railroad reached Strømmen, and the planks got a new way of transport. But soon
the water sawmills were out competed by saws driven by steam. The railroad station also
were responsible for the postal services and had a telegraph station.
Strømmens Værksted, 1900.
Værksted" was built in 1873 at "Sagelva". This company produced railroad
carriages and owens, and later other articles like stoves and dairy machines. The company
established a steel foundry in 1903, and an electro steel factory, "Strømmen
Staal", in 1924.
"The Strømmen-bus" from 1949 was the first bus in the
world to be built in aluminium alloy. There also were car production here. When
"Strømmen Staal" was closed in 1978, the greatest employer of Strømmen
"Strømmens værksted" still produces railroad carriages, and is
now a part of ABB Adtranz.
"Strømmen Trævarefabrikk" meant a
lot for Strømmen in the period following the saw mills. The factory opened in 1884 with
30 employees. Exporting doors, windows and wooden lists was the basis of the
Later they produced prepared houses. The houses were mounted inside a large
taken apart and delivered all around the world. Carpenters from Strømmen followed all
deliveries. The company took part in the rebuilding of Messina, after the major earthquake
in 1908, when more than 80000 people were killed.
Director Hauge in his T-Ford
The houses from "Strømmen
Trævarefabrikk" had characteristic Swiss style, and such houses are still preserved
stations, and Kjeller airfield from 1912 are among the buildings
raised by this company.
Two major fires during twenty years damaged most of the
Yet trademarks like the "Strømmen window" and the "Strømmen
terrace door" are well known until the company was closed in 1990.
In January 1999 the worlds southernmost,
Lutheran church, originally built by "Strømmen Trævarefabrikk" was
It is located on the British island of South-Georgia. For several generations Norwegians
went to this island to participate in the whaling. The church was built in 1913. Since
the last Norwegian left the place in 1964, wind and weather corroded the
Norwegian foundations and authorities have financed the restoring of the church in
Grytvika, on appeal from the archbishop of Canterbury.
own Church was inaugurated in 1929. The site was given by "Strømmen
Trævarefabrikk", which also gave NOK 45000 of it's profit to the
At the start
in 1923 they only could afford walls and no roof, despite of several fairs to add to the
budget. In 1927 the community took over the building, and it was finished in 1929.
Partly in the premises of "Strømmen
Staal" the Shoppingcentre "Strømmen Storsenter" is situated. This is one
of the largest shoppingcentres in Norway, with a yearly trade of almost NOK 1,3 billion.
Some of the interior from the steel production are preserved in the buildings, and creates
a certain atmosphere. Two cultural institutions are also situated here. Those are
"Akershus Culturecentre" and the Motor
museum. "Akershus County museum" recently moved to another place in
Shopping in Strømmen earlier took place along
the length of the main street "Strømsveien". In 1985 the mentioned
shoppingcentre opened, and with it's 15000 m2 the shopping area of Strømmen was more than
doubled in size. The shoppingcentre has later added another 10000 m2 to it's area, and a
new parking area combined with more shops is now increasing this once more. This of course
leads much traffic to this characteristic, suburban, villa area, with only about 8000
inhabitants. In August 1998, a new road solution with the main road in a tunnel, meant
essentially less traffic.
Sagdalen school of 1919.
Historical pictures are used
by permission from "Strømmen